Friday 9 October 2009

BACK TO THE BOOKS AND THE BICYCLE

Back at college - year four, week one. Just nine months to go before my exams next May and handing in my dissertation. It seems like only yesterday that my journey towards a BA History degree at Birkbeck began yet by the time I celebrate my 71st birthday in December, the pressure will really be on.

This week it was good seeing some familiar faces, students who were with me on previous courses, especially Giles, another grey-haired oldie, who admits to struggling but is hanging on. He and I are on the "Social Changes in 19th century Britain" course and this fits in nicely with the other courses I have completed in previous years.

I have volunteered to do a presentation on "The European Experience of Declining Fertility" in week three so reading papers on subjects about women, sex and contraception is high on my list of learning priorities! Can't say that I know much about these sort of things but, who knows, I may finish up with a lot of knowledge on this issue. My LONDON FOOTSTEPS walkers may like to know more!

The other course is "Colonial Encounters: Race, Identity and Cultural exchange in the British Empire" which is all about events and developments in Africa, India and Australia. It will focus on the role and attitudes of the Brits as Empire builders and colonialists but from a different perspective.

The bicycle has been cleaned and oiled so the twice-weekly journey across London from the railway station to the college is on two wheels rather than relying on London Transport. Makes a big difference after lectures because I can be back on the train within 30 minutes and home before 10 pm. This may sound irrelevant but waiting for a London bus on a dreary winter evening is no fun so the bicycle has been an essential part of my travel plans over the past three years.

The College has been expensively re-organised with new lecture rooms and computer facilities everywhere. Dell must be making a fortune. The college is always crowded during the first few weeks and this suggests that a lot of people are signing on for a whole range of degree courses and willing to combine work with part-time education. Those who have work and family commitments must find it very difficult giving a number of hours each week to their studies. Several of those who started at the same time as I did have decided on one course a year instead of two and extended their time from four to five or even six years.

I'm looking forward to this final year but not without some trepidation. The amount of reading and studying has increased which is why I have given up my job as Chairman of the Manchester Drive Allotment Society. You wouldn't believe the amount of paper-work, telephone calls, emails and trouble-shooting the job demands! That's the subject for another blog.

For the moment it's back to the study of "Gender and fertility decline among the British Middle Classes". Here we go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment